Learn. Ideas. Fascination. Experiments.
Experimental learning packages
The learning packages are developed in collaboration with companies based on authentic application-oriented case studies relevant in efforts to solve current societal problems and/or problems in the students’ everyday lives. LIFE provides the material, including digital learning activities, learning kits, a visit by a mobile laboratory and/or a visit to the LIFE Center in Lyngby, north of Copenhagen.
The courses vary from a few lessons to several weeks depending on the subject, the grade of the students and the goal of the course. Instead of doing a full course, elements can be selected to fit the yearly and daily schedule of the individual teachers and classes.
The learning packages fulfil one or more Common Objective or Curriculum in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics), and they are based on inquiry-based science learning.
Introduction to LIFE
LIFE is a new learning initiative that sets new standards for application-oriented, enquiry-based and experimental science learning and teaching. LIFE is established under the Novo Nordisk Foundation. In the long term, LIFE is expected to become an independent foundation and operate the LIFE Learning Center in Lyngby, north of Copenhagen.
The vision of LIFE is to create high tech learning laboratories that can gather key actors in education and contribute decisively to enhancing scientific learning and education in Denmark.
The mission of LIFE is to increase knowledge about and fascination with the importance and application of science among children and adolescents. In collaboration with actors in the education sector, LIFE will specifically contribute to:
- improving the standard of general scientific learning and education for children, adolescents and the general population in Denmark;
- increasing the interest and motivation of children and adolescents to focus intensely on science and its applications; and
- strengthening the recruiting base and substantially increasing the number of people applying for scientific educational programmes in upper-secondary schools and in universities
The name – Why LIFE?
LIFE is an acronym for Learning, Ideas, Fascination and Experiments. This explains what LIFE wants for children and adolescents in science and its application. LIFE also signals that applying science is very important to people’s lives: daily life and the major challenges for our common future. LIFE learning packages are built on the vision of the UNs Sustainable Development Goals – translated to students.
LIFE’s main activities
Through a series of learning packages, students are invited to work with real-life issues in the STEM subjects (Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics). The learning packages have been developed, based on authentic issues, in collaboration with companies, research institutions and universities and related to the UN Sustainable Development Goals.
The first set of learning packages, using four different platforms, is under development. During 2019-20, LIFE will carry out testing and quality assurance of the key activities of LIFE, including models for collaboration with municipalities and educational institutions on the use of the learning packages.
Alongside this, a framework for the development and implementation of LIFE is being developed so that it can become a sustainable initiative from the beginning of 2021.
When fully operational, LIFE expects to have a portfolio of about 30 learning packages that will be continually developed, evaluated and revised or replaced with new ones.
The learning packages are being developed for use through four channels:
- Class sets of learning kits, containing teaching materials for student experiments, which are distributed to schools.
- A digital learning platform where additional features can be added to packages such as animations, modelling, visualizations, virtual laboratories, providing options for differentiation in use, and allowing students to explore the themes more deeply for themselves.
- The LIFE Center, which is a teaching facility where six classes each day can work with the learning packages in advanced experimental laboratory facilities.
- Mobile laboratories, in which LIFE brings high-level laboratory facilities, learning developers and learning packages to students and teachers throughout the country.
The timeline below shows the estimated timing of the planned activities. For more information, please read the description of the LIFE project.
The Novo Nordisk Foundation has initiated and supports LIFE. Read more at novonordiskfonden.dk/en
The learning packages are the core of the entire LIFE initiative. These are teaching and learning resources that are provided free of charge to collaborating educational institutions. In the longer term, the goal is that these learning packages will address all the learning goals of relevant natural science courses for preschool/childcare centres, primary and secondary education. In LIFE’s first year, there will be a focus on primary and secondary schools.
Six learning packages are in the process of being developed: Enzymjagten (the Enzyme Hunt), WeGrow, Red dig Cell (save yourself), TurboVækst (Turbo Growth), Mikrosafari (Micro Safari) and Kræftens Gåde (the Cancer Riddle).
Materials and Mobile Laboratories
LIFE provides teaching materials and equipment free of charge, including a digital platform or alternatively delivery of a learning kit by mail. You can book a mobile laboratory to come to your school, or the class can visit the LIFE Center in Lyngby, north of Copenhagen. Please contact us for more details.